Friday, July 12, 2013

Why i changed my name from 'Nigga Raw' to 'Mr Raw' - Mr Raw

Ukeje Okechukwu Edward, a.k.a Mr Raw, formerly known as 'Nigga Raw'
popular for his hit song "Obodo" in a recent chat with Weekend Groove
talks about why he changed his name from 'Nigga Raw' to 'Mr. Raw'.
Read below;

What is the story behind your
change of name from Nigga
Raw to Mr. Raw?

Yeah ,the change of name
actually came about because on-
air personalities could not say
my name without driving
another connotation to it. It was
affecting information about me.
Some foreign stations like MTV
Base couldn't play my music
until I removed the word 'Nigga'
from my name. I had to do it.
But what actually gave me the
push to change my name to Mr.
Raw was when many people
complained that they weren't
able to buy my songs online.

I had to search for my name
online and I didn't see it in one
of the popular websites. But
when I searched for one of my
songs it popped up. I saw that
they censored 'Nigga' and
replaced it with five stars. So if
you search for Nigga Raw you
wouldn't find it unless you
searched for one of my songs.
Nigerians outside the country
buy songs online before they
get the hard copy.
So I had to change the name.

Then again, if you are going to
foreign embassies to get a visa,
the promoter is usually scared
of telling them at the embassy
that a 'nigga' wants to go to
their country.
But really, the 'Nigga' in my
name wasn't like the American
Nigger. Mine is actually an
acronym NIGA which means
Nigerian Guy Anakpo Raw
(Nigerian Guy who is called
Raw). But how many people
would you be explaining this to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.