Saturday, July 20, 2013

Yvonne Nelson talks about break up with Iyanya, Tonto Dikeh, says her Nigerian is Damilola

Ghanian actress Yvonne Nelson was in the country to premiere her latest movie, "House of Gold" at the Silverbird Cinema, Lagos, yesterday. During an interview she talked about the movie staring Ice Prince and Omawumi, she also said she has a Nigerian name "I was given a Nigerian name recently which makes me half-Nigerian. My Nigerian name is Damilola." Below she talks about her break up with Iyanya... Take time to read it's interesting.

Controversies have been trailing your acting career in recent times; from your break-up with Iyanya to accusations that you bleached your body and more recently, an article posted online where you lamented that Iyanya used and dumped you. Why all these controversies?
Did anybody hear me say that? Nobody used and dumped me. As journalists, you should know that your colleagues are fond of using sensational headlines to drag traffic to their blogs and websites. At the end of the day, I did not say somebody used and dumped me. I don't remember saying anything like that.
How do you address the allegations of lightening your skin?
Do I look like someone who is bleaching? One thing people should understand is that we use a lot of photo tricks. If you watch our movies, for instance, I look a little bit dark but if you see my pictures, I look fair in complexion. Commonsense should tell anyone that the pictures are treated. What happened is that I posted my new picture online and people started alleging that I was bleaching my skin That's how the whole thing started. My mum is fairer than me, and my siblings are all fair in complexion. I don't bleach and I don't intend lightening my skin.
Do you feel hurt each time you read negative stories about yourself?
I don't even know why they say all the things they say about me. To some people, if you tell them you can fly, they would believe in you. Whatever they read in the dailies, they believe in. It's good for them. So, I can't go into everybody's home to tell them, 'Look at me, I haven't bleached before.' I'm happy with myself.
Are you in any relationship at the moment?
Not that fast. I'm now a 'sacred virgin' meaning you are not a virgin but after a long time you become a sacred virgin. There are some special people in my life that I hang out with once in a while. But I'm not in any relationship at the moment. I just want to take my time. It's not as if I'm looking for guys. I believe that when it is the right time, they will come looking for me.
But are you not thinking of settling down?
It's something that I'm thinking about, but I just want to take my time. More so, I'm still young. However, if it comes my way, why not? But definitely, not with somebody in the entertainment industry.
Meaning that you wouldn't want to date an entertainer again?
Not at all.
Is it because of your experience with Iyanya?
I guess everybody knows that. It was quite a shocking experience
Even after your break-up with Iyanya, there were some tweets meant to be an apology to you from one of your contenders, Tonto Dikeh. How did you receive the tweets?
Like I said in my interview with Bella Naija I hate a situation where you bring a third person into any relationship that I'm involved in. I don't want to mention names. There are certain things I wouldn't want to talk about here. I know that those tweets were actually meant for me. There is no problem. I hope she's happy now because she did whatever she had to do. She advised me to move on, and I wish her good luck.
After reading your interview in Bella Naija, we sought Iyanya's reaction and he told us you were free to say whatever you wanted to say. Has it got to that extent?
Fine! You guys should go back and read the interview again. We are in a business where everybody is trying to protect his or her fan base. Most of his fans are women while my fans are basically men. So, I would do anything to protect my male fans just as he was trying to protect his female fans. He can't run away from the truth. I decided to open up because I decided to open up because I didn't want to disappoint my male fans. I was ready to talk about it. And nobody could stop me from doing so
Given this situation, would you turn down any offer to be on the same set with Tonto Dikeh?
I don't have any problem with anybody. As a professional, if I get a phone call from a producer and the script is something I like as well as the person directing the film, why not? I will. I'm not fighting with anyone, even though we are not friends. But all the same, whatever tweets she posted were meant for me. It's okay, there's nothing wrong with that. We all have our lives to live and were brought up in different backgrounds. I don't have to respond to anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.