Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Drama as 21-yr-old accused asks magistrate for food

Culled From: Vanguard

The magistrate's court
sitting in Yaba, Lagos, yesterday,
witnessed a mild drama
following an outburst by one of
the arraigned suspects.

The incident occurred during
the hearing of a two-count
felony charge brought against
the suspect, Tunde Balogun (21)
, who instead of pleading to the
charges, brought out some
drugs from his pocket as he
cried to the magistrate: "Please
Ma, I have been on these drugs
since Saturday. I am not feeling
okay. I have not had anything to
eat since morning. Please Ma, if
you can help me, just give me
something so that I can swallow
these drugs."

This prompted the magistrate to
halt the session for some
minutes to ascertain the health
condition of the accused from
the Prosecuting Officer who
brought him to court. It was
then revealed that it was a
strategy to distract the court
session.

After the second charge was
read, the accused remained
silent for a while, after which he
told the magistrate: "I heard
what you said, but I don't know
anything about the charges you
just read to me. I am not guilty
of the charges. I am not feeling
very fine, please I need to take
these medications I bought
from the chemist since
Saturday."

It was further revealed by some
witnesses at the hearing that a
previous case of felony and
assault committed against a
young lady in February 2013,
was struck out in court last
Friday, but instead of turning a
new leaf, the accused who is a
son of a retired court official,
committed another felony the
next day.

According to a witness,"he is
unrepentant and this has
caused his father, who is a
retired court registrar, so much
pain."

When asked reasons for
misbehaving during the
hearing, the accused told our
reporter: "Truly, I am innocent
of the charge against me. That
evening, I went with one of my
friends to purchase some drugs
at a chemist, and suddenly we
heard people shouting and
running after some young men.

"In confusion, we joined them,
but before I knew what was
happening, they mobbed me.

They broke a bottle on my head
in the process. Look at the
wound," he said, showing off a
wounded back of his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.