Wednesday, January 8, 2014

DvNsports: Former Aston Villa midfielder, Thomas Hitzlsperger reveals he is gay

Thomas Hitzlsperger

Former Aston Villa favourite and Germany international Thomas Hitzlsperger has made public his homosexuality.

Hitzlsperger 31, who retired in September 2013 due to a knee injury yesterday told a German newspaper that he wanted to come out so as to bring progress to the discussion of homosexuality in professional sport.

"I'm coming out about my homosexuality because I want to move the discussion about homosexuality among professional sportspeople forwards. In England, Italy & Germany being a homosexual is no big thing, at least not in the dressing room"

"The awareness of being gay was a long and difficult process. Only in recent years has it dawned on me that I would prefer to live with another man. I've never been ashamed of my sexuality"

The first footballer to come out as gay is US footballer Robbie Rogers who had to leave football after coming out. Hitzlsperger was probably wise to wait to retire before revealing this to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.