Monday, August 18, 2014

Ebola: Minister of Health explains why anti-ebola drug Nano-Silver has not being approved

Nano-Silver

The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, today explained why the Federal government was withholding the approval for Anti-Ebola drug Nano-Silver produced by a Nigerian scientist in the diaspora.

He said that the Nano Silver drug, which was made available to the Emergency Operations Centre in Lagos on Aug. 14, did not meet basic research requirements.

Chukwu made this known when he received the U.S Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr James Entwistle, in his office in Abuja.

"The experimental drug, Nano Silver did not meet the requirements of the National Health Research Ethics Code.

"Accordingly, the approval was withheld by the National Health Research Ethics Committee," Chukwu said.

In response, the ambassador, Mr James Entwistle expressed his satisfaction in the way the nation has been handling the Ebola crisis so far.

"You have all seen the headlines over the weekend, this is an issue that we have to keep working hard on, it may be with us for a while but there are some encouraging signs.

"Your government is doing a good job on contact tracing; I noticed when I flew back here on Thursday night into the country, before I left the plane I filed in the questionnaire.

"I was very impressed because I had to put in my seat number which is a very good idea, so that if you have to trace the guy who was seating next to me you will know where I am.

"I have been very impressed by this thing so I encourage the government of Nigeria to keep at it, which I know they will,'' he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.