Tuesday, April 14, 2015

One year after Boko Haram atrocity: Letter from a kidnapped Chibok girl

Kidnapped Chibok girls

Letter from a kidnapped Chibok girl

Mama please stop
stop weeping
my heart is sore
from hearing your nightly wailing..

This is why i write you
even though i should be saving
my strength for
what's to happen
when he comes back.

Please mama
weep no more
be strong for me
i need more of your prayers.

The man told me
"Your country has forgotten if you exist",
he said no one is coming for me.

I don't want to believe him mama.
although he seems to be right.
has it been 10years already?
i lost count 2years ago.

I believe in my gallant military,
i believe in my fellow Nigerians
i believe in the government,
they wouldn't abandon me,
or am i wrong mama?
They can't really be cowards,
that's what the man called them.
He said "the bloody cowards
chickened out".

Mama? mama please answer me
i'm tired of this place.
You won't believe
what they do to us,
this people are more wicked
than the devil, i swear mama.

Baba must be very worried
as usual he would refuse to eat
please tell him to be a man
i really miss him
tell him to stop thinki
i mus go now
d ma is comin
i ear his fo/

Poem by David Awunor
This poem was written to give voice to the over 200 Chibok school girls who were kidnapped exactly a year ago from their school by Boko Haram terrorists. Sadly its a year today since the atrocity was commited yet none of the girls have been rescued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.