Sunday, October 26, 2014

2015: I'm not a religious fanatic - Buhari says he may choose a Christian as his running mate

Muhammadu Buhari

Former Head of State and presidential aspirant of the All Progressives Congress, Muhammadu Buhari says he is not a religious fundamentalist.

Buhari, in an interview with TheCable, hinted that his running mate may be a Muslim or a Christian noting that he had chosen Christians as his running mate on several occasions, contrary to the belief that he is a fanatic.

"Nigerians will always uncover impossible room for manoeuvre for politicians. I had to face one of the governors during one of our party's meetings (over the issue of religion).

"In 2003, I chose Chuba Okadigbo as my running mate. He was a Roman Catholic. He was an Igbo. In 2007, I picked Edwin Ume-Ezeoke. He was a Roman Catholic. He was an Igbo. And in 2010, I chose even a pastor, Pastor Tunde Bakare.

"Honestly, what do Nigerians want me to do? If they don't believe I'm not a fundamentalist, what else can I do?" he said.

He further said, "I have not absolutely closed my mind to picking a Christian or Muslim as running mate if I get the ticket. I firmly believe that Nigerians, having gone through what they have gone through, realise it is not a matter of religion, but a matter of Nigeria.

"And the main religions, Christianity and Islam, they know and they believe in the Almighty God. The question of stealing and short-changing people in the name of religion should stop," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If we don't talk about our celebs, who will? Share your thoughts by commenting.